Department: Department of Physics
The Department of Physics in the Faculty of Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%)
Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of gravitational wave instrumentation
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of gravitational wave instrumentation. During your research you will contribute to the construction and development of ETpathfinder, which is a R&D infrastructure to test and prototype new technologies for the Einstein Telescope: a future third generation gravitational wave observatory. At the University of Antwerp we intend to contribute to the development of detector control systems, and to interferometer simulations or noise budget calculations for ETpathfinder and Einstein Telescope. For the former we will aim construct and further develop linear variable differential transformer (LVDT) position sensors in combination with voice coil (VC) actuators. These are crucial ingredients to construct seismic attenuation systems for GW detectors.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the particle physics research group.
- You hold a Master degree in Physics or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are able to easily communicate in English.
- You are a team player and eager to work in an international collaboration.
- Experience in gravitational wave instrumentation (hardware or simulations) obtained during your Master thesis is considered a plus.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another two years.
- The planned start date is 1 July 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at Campus Groenenborger in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 31 March 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV, your grades, and two reference letters.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Hans Van Haevermaet, email@example.com.
- More info here on the UAntwerpen website